In the context of a higher educational institution, a library is considered to be a vital sub-unit as a learning resource. In todayâ€™s high-tech learning environment, the library as a learning resource is taking up increasingly more academic space and time in the life of a learner. So, the improvement of the library of a higher educational institution gets utmost importance for retrieving information. Moving up with the other parts of the world, Digboi College, within its limited capacity, is also trying its best to improve the library activities.
1. Digboi College has a Central Library with a stock of nearly 30000 books and journals.
2. New books are added to the library on a regular basis as per the requirement of various departments.
3. Presently the library building is of Assam type with the facility of reading rooms for both the students and teachers. Construction of a new RCC building for the library is going on.
4. The process of complete computerization of the the library activities is going on. With the use of SOUL Software and LAN facility, the data entry of books and journals, issue of books etc. are being done in the library. Currently the process of the upgradation of computers and software are being taken up.
5. For information retrieval, the library already has internet connectivity under BSNL Broadband. Both the students and teachers are taking the benefit of this facility.
6. Student Magazines and periodicals are also added to the library.
7. Very recently in addition to the existing journals, a number of new journals of National and International standards on diverse fields are added to the library and subscription for more journals is under process.
8. The facility of getting some of the free online journals is provided to the students and teachers in the library and efforts are being taken for subscribing some other important online journals.
9. Five number of National and Regional dailies in different languages e. g. Assamese, English, Hindi are subscribed on regular basis.
10. Reprographic ( Photo Copy ) and printing facilities are already there in the library.
11. Nearly 50 Audio and Video Cassettes are procured by the library and the college has a plan to procure more such cassettes with educational value in the near future. But due to lack of space, presently the audio-video activities are performed in the Conference Hall of the college.
12. The Library Committee looks after the activities of the library.
13. The college has a plan of inter linking of the library with other libraries of India and abroad.
Besides the central library most of the Departments also have the Departmental Libraries of their own.